A page for things that don’t easily fit into one of the other major categories:
Victorian Pillar Boxes
Fourteen Victorian pillar boxes have been found in the Roath/Splott/Adamsdown areas of Cardiff and one Victorian post box. May be there are a few more hidden away? Click on Victorian Pillar Boxes to find out more.
This ancient milestone is preserved in the triangular garden of the old Roath Branch Library, Newport Road. Photographed in 1891, the inscription seems to read “From the Town Hall in Cardiff 1 mile”. This would be the High Street Town Hall, the second in Cardiff’s history, which was demolished in 1861. The stone probably dates from the 1760s when the turnpike trusts were established, and it appears on George Yates’s 1799 map of Glamorgan. This probably makes it one of the oldest surviving man-made objects in Roath!
With the old Roath Library building currently vacant, the triangle of land in front of the building is overgrown and the milestone getting harder to see. Fortunately we have been assured by the Council that the community group taking a lease on the property are aware of the milestone and are working closely with CADW, heritage planners and Heritage Lottery so the milestone will be included and protected during any works.