The war memorial stood outside Roath Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. When the chapel was bombed in WWII the memorial survived and can be seen in pictures of the bomb-damaged chapel.
The church was badly damaged during an air raid on March 3rd 1941. It was demolished in 1955. Roath Road was renamed Newport Road in the early 1880s but the church kept its original name.
In a recollection shared on social media, Tony McCarthy recalls being involved when the war memorial was dismantled around about 1955, put on a porters trolley “borrowed” from the Infirmary, towed by pick-up van to the church on the corner of Piercefield Place and re-erected in it’s forecourt. But then what happened to it?