Trinity Centre, Four Elms Road

The Trinity Centre was previously the Trinity Methodist Church.

The centre still houses a collection of memorial plaques, some collected from other churches when they closed down.

Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church Roath - Small for website

This is probably the original Trinity Methodist WWI plaque.

The names on the Trinity Methodist plaque: Raymond Bird, John F Coundrey, Harry G Hankin, M Frederick J Hedden, William Hughes, William H Lampurd, Hubert V Morse, P Ernest Stratton.


Broadway Methodist Church WWI plaque

The Broadway Methodist WWI Plaque now housed at the Trinity Centre, Four Elms Road

The names on the Broadway Methodist Church memorial plaque are:

ALFRED HENRY ALLARD

Lance Corporal, 8th (Service) Battalion, Devonshire Regiment  (Service Number 10669)

Harry Allard SWDN 13.11.15 - Copy

Alfred Henry ‘Harry’ Allard was born at Frome, Somerset on 25 Sep 1894 to John Thomas Allard, an iron works erector, and Sarah Ann ‘Annie’ Allard nee Singer, both originally from Somerset.   Harry attended Stacey Road school. In the 1911 census the Allard family were living at 1 Vere Street, Roath and Harry was working as a plumber’s assistant.  He enlisted in Bristol.  He served as a Lance Corporal in the 8th Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment. He was killed in action on the Western Front on 25 Sep 1915, on his 21st birthday. He is remembered on the Loos memorial in France. He is also remembered on the Broadway Methodist church war memorial plaque now at the Trinity Centre.  Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.


Sydney Banbury


Herbert Bingham


WILLIAM BLACK

Engineer Lieutenant,  HMS Natal, Royal Navy.

William Black was born on 6 Jan1885 in Cardiff, the only son of William Black originally from Kinghoorn, Fife, Scotland and Alice Black née Gray originally from Hartlepool. The family originally lived at  of 80 Richards Terrace, Roath but by 1891 the family had moved to 235 Newport Road, Roath.  His father was a superintendent marine engineer.  William attended Cardiff Municipal Secondary School, Howard Gardens from 1895 to 1898 and then Cardiff High School from September 1898, when he was in the school’s first ever intake .  He left in Dec 1900 to follow his father’s profession and started work as an apprenticed engineer.  He took an extra first class engineers certificate at South Shields in 1911 and later qualified as a naval architect.  He was employed as a consulting engineer at Cardiff docks and, on the death of his father in 1912, he succeeded him in the business.  In Sep 1915, he was appointed Engineer Lieutenant RN. William Black was killed, aged 30, when HMS Natal accidentally exploded with great loss of life in Cromarty Firth on 31 Dec 1915.  Over four hundred died.  Though it was at first assumed she had been torpedoed it was later concluded that the cause was an internal ammunition explosion, possibly the result of faulty cordite.  Engineer Lieutenant William Black is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial to the Missing and also on family gravestones in Cathays Cemetery and in Kinghorn, Fife, where his family originated.  He is also commemorated on the Cardiff High School war memorial, the Howard Gardens war memorial and the war memorial that was in the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Broadway, Roath now in the Trinity CentreCommonwealth War Graves Commission record.

William Black portrait and graves

William Black (photo: Western Mail), lower left: tribute on family grave at Cathays Cemetery, grave S745, right – remembered on family grave in Kinghorn, Fife.


William Collier,

Herbert Constanine,

Wilfred Dymoke,

Algy Farley,

Harold Peacock,

Leslie Rowe,

Vivian Rowe,

Frank Stacey,

Bernard Way,

Bert Yarwood


Broadway Methodist Church Memorial Windows later reinstalled at Trinity Methodist Church

Broadway Methodist Church Memorial Windows unveiled in November 1920, later reinstalled at Trinity Methodist Church in 1950.

Broadway Methodist Church Windows Plaque


Cyfartha Street Mission plaque

CYFARTHA STREET MISSION plaque

The Cyfartha Street Mission plaque now housed at the Trinity Centre

Names on the memorial: Sydney Banbury, Sidney, Frank Stacey