Private, 15th Battalion, Welsh Regiment (Service number: 241162)
Frances ‘Frank’ Nash was born in 1882 in Pontlottyn to Frank Nash, an iron worker, originally from Ireland and Ellen Nash nee Murphy, a wardrobe dealer, also originally from Ireland. It appears Frank was mainly raised by his mother and step-father, Michael O’Reily, in Merthyr Tydfil. The 1893 South Wales Daily News records that a boy, Frances Nash, received six stokes from the birch rod for stealing two pigeons from a coop in Penderyn. He married Elizabeth Henderson in Merthyr Tydfil in 1906 and they went on to have two sons Frank and Allan. In 1911 the Nash family were living in Glebland Street, Merthyr and Frank working as a fishmonger. In Aug 1914 he served a couple of weeks in Swansea gaol for drunkenness. He enlisted on 15 Oct 1914 and served with the 15th Battalion, Welsh Regiment. He survived the entirety of the war and was discharged on the grounds of ill health on 4 Mar 1919. He died of cardiac failure on 15 Jul 1920 at Clyne House Red Cross Hospital, Newport Road, Cardiff aged 38. His stepfather, M O’Reily, of 26 Stuart Street, Merthyr Tydfil, was in attendance. Frank’s final resting place is not known. He is remembered on the Red Cross memorial plaque at St Edward church, Pen-y-lan, Cardiff.
HAROLD JOHN NASH
Lieutenant, 4th Battalion attached to the 9th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Harold John Nash was born in Cardiff on 19 Apr 1894 to John Thomas Nash, a basket maker, originally from Cardiff and Mary Ann Nash née Godwin, originally from Newport. In 1901 the Nash family were living at 27 Glynrhondda Street, Cathays. By 1911 they had moved to 88 Ninian Road, Roath Park and Harold was working as a coal merchant’s clerk and later at Messrs Hall, Lewis & Co in Cardiff Docks. Harold’s parents married at Bethany Baptist church where Harold was a worshiper too. In WWI he served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, gaining promotion to 2nd Lieutenant on 1 Jan 1916. On 28 Jun 1916 he returned to Cardiff to marry Rose Hunt, a short-hand typist. They married at St Andrew’s church. Rose at the time was living in May Street, Cathays, and Harold at the Park Hall Camp in Oswestry. He returned to serving on the Western Front but was killed in action on 24 Mar 1918 at Frèmicourt aged 23. His burial place is not known. He is remembered on the Arras Memorial in France. He is also remembered on the St Andrew’s and St Teilo’s church memorial and the Bethany Baptist Memorial plaque. His probate states that at the time of his death his address was 4 Montgomery Street, Roath Park. His letters home from the front have been handed down through the family and extracts were reproduced in a Bethany Baptist church magazine in 2014. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
HAROLD STEWART NEEVE
Flight Sergeant (Pilot), 37 Squadron, Royal Air Force (Service Number 626638)
Harold Stewart Neeve was born in 1921 to Alfred Harold Neeve, originally from Denmark, a seaman then a warehouseman, and Annie Mary Neeve née Stewart from Cardiff of Scottish decent. Harold was their only child and was educated at Moorland Road school, Clarke’s College and then Cardiff Technical College. The Neeve family lived at 15 Aberdovey Street, Splott. He joined the 37th Squadron of the RAF and was already a skipper in Jan 1943 but died on 30 Sep 1943 aged 22 when piloting Wellington III HF614. He is buried at the Medjez-el-Bab cemetery in Tunisia (grave ref: 7.F.9) having been reinterred in Aug 1944. He is remembered on the WWII memorial plaque in St Saviour’s Church, Splott. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.