As certain mechanical difficulties have arisen in the course of printing this Newsletter, I have had to revert to the cutting of stencils and duplicating instead of the usual photocopying. I hope members will excuse any departure from the normally high standard of reproduction we try to maintain.
By the time this issue is in your hands the A.G.M. will have been held.
Whatever changes may be decided, weekly meetings at Howardian High School will resume on Thursday 25 September. Please come along:
MORE ABOUT PEN-Y-LAN
- The Radcliffs – a note from Barry Davies
- Pen-y-lan Well
- The Water Tower and Reservoir
- Pen-y-lan Observatory
A to Z OF PLACE-NAMES (Continued)
- (Q to S) 72 –
- Roath Court
THE MACKINTOSH of MACKINTOSH
- MRS MACKINTOSH
- THE MACKINTOSH INSTITUTE: – Formal Opening 1891
- FAMILY TREE – Mrs Mackintosh (nee Richards)
- THE MACKINTOSH ESTATE – legal notes from an abstract of title
- THE MACKINTOSH’S GRAND-DAUGHTER
Dan Jones F.R.A.S. “Cardiff City Observatory Handbook – Cardiff Education Committee”. Priory Press Ltd. Cardiff. 1931
Cardiff Corporation. Official Handbooks.
Cardiff Records V.63.457.463 et seq.
- Ballinger (Ed.).Cardiff Illustrated Handbook. Cardiff. 1896. Article on Water Supply by J.A.B.Williams.
MORE ABOUT PEN-Y-LAN
The notes on Pen-y-lan in the Spring number seem to have created considerable interest judged by the demand for extra copies of the Newsletter and correspondence received.
I’m afraid I committed the cardinal sin of describing one of our Pen-y-lan worthies as not being Welsh, when in fact he had an impeccable Welsh pedigree. I am grateful to Barry Davies for putting me right. He writes:
I fear you will find yourself in trouble for asserting that Daniel Radcliff was not a Welshman.
His family were farmers at Morlangha in Peterstone-super-Ely. His branch of the Glamorgan Radcliffs appear to go back to about 1760 in the Llanilid area although the Rev. W.G.Wrenche (whose Mother was a Radcliff) and from whose research I abstract the attached tree traced the line only to 1799 and had to assume the link with earlier generations. He derived the family from a Robert Radcliff, disinherited son of Joseph Radcliff Esq., a barrister (1695 -1760) who had some connection with Cottrell, St. Nicholas. There was another branch descended from a Harry Radcliff who appears in the Pendoylan parish register in 1729.
It is particularly interesting that you identify Ada Mary, daughter of the late Thomas Williams of Cardiff as Lady Glanely. The Rev.W.G.Wrench (Branch) says that Daniel Radcliff’s wife was Catherine, daughter of —- Williams of Pengam and sister of. Lady Glanely. Her mother apparently later became Mrs Frazer of Pentyrch (? Tregarth in -Creigiau).
The Radcliffs have many relations still in the Glamorgan farming community who take pride in their successful kinsmen.
One of our most esteemed members, Bill Hamlin, has kindly drawn my attention to a reference to the “Wishing Well”, Pen-y-lan, contained in “SOME FOLK-LORE OF SOUTH WALES” by T.H.Thomas. Pub. Wm. Lewis, Cardiff. (undated) – a booklet which appears to be a re-print of an article in the Transactions of the Cardiff Naturalists’ Society.
It even includes a small picture of the well (Plate III). Here is a quotation (p.6):-
In the neighbourhood of Cardiff there is the celebrated Wishing well of Penylan, now enclosed in the grounds of Sir Alfred Thomas, M.P. This was formerly a Rag Well, but has long been disused. As a Wishing Well it was until recently very popular, and within forty years a sort of fair was held by it at Easter, and folk “wished” by hundreds.
The author explains in the text that a “Rag Well” was so called because it was traditionally decorated with rags from the clothing, or especially from the bandages of the votaries. Sometimes the “ex voto” offerings of rags were hung from trees and tied to nearby bushes.
It is of considerable interest to learn that the Pen-y-lan Wishing Well was within the grounds of “Bronwydd” not “Oldwell” or “Wellclose”.
The Water Tower and Reservoir
On the summit of Pen-y-lan Hill stand “Cyncoed Gardens” in the corner of which the red brick water tower dominates the landscape.
The high level water tower and electrical power pump were built under the provisions of an Act of Parliament of 1884 under the supervision of C.H.Priestley who was appointed waterworks engineer to the Cardiff Corporation on 24 June 1895. The top water level is 261 feet above sea level (O.S.datum) and the tower holds 14,000 gallons. Alongside is the reservoir holding 3 million gallons. The tower and reservoir were designed to supply piped water to Rhymney and St Mellons as well as to the Pen-y-lan district and other elevated parts of Cardiff. The reservoir was later covered and the concrete surface was adapted for use as public tennis courts. The nets have now been removed and one of the few indications that tennis was played there are the almost obliterated lines marked out on the flat smooth surface. But for the stanchions that once supported the netting, this great slab would, I suggest, make a good heliport!
Gone, alas, from the gardens is. the once delightful public putting green. But saddest of all in the run-down Cyncoed Gardens is the disappearance of the old municipal observatory, now replaced by a house. What appears to be an electricity sub-station now occupies the site of the lecture room that used to adjoin the old Cardiff City observatory .
It all started in the 1870’s when a well known optical craftsman, George Calver, was commissioned to build a telescope for the Rev. W. Conybeare (later Archdeacon) who used it at St Nicholas where he was rector. Had he not felt so strong a calling to the Church, he might have became one of the foremost British astronomers. Increasing pressure of ecclesiastical duties compelled him to forgo his astronomical work and he found he had less and less time available to a use of his telescope, which was regarded as one of the finest instruments of its kind.
In 1882 the telescope and the modest structure that housed it found their way into the hands of Mr Franklen Evans, who had it transferred to his residence at Llwynarthen and had various modifications made to it to suit his own particular requirements.
Some years later, a desire was expressed by interested citizens that Cardiff should follow the example of Edinburgh and Sheffield by providing a municipal telescope – or Observatory. In the course of correspondence in the local press, Franklen Evans made a magnanimous offer to present his large telescope, observatory and astronomical clock to the City of Cardiff. The offer was gratefully accepted.
A special committee was set up of City Councillors and others to draw up rules for the custody and management of the telescope, which was formally dedicated to the use of the public in the summer of 1906, after some discussion as to the best location.
The Newtonian telescope itself was a 12 inch reflector with a magnification of about 500. It was mounted on an equatorial stand with an automatic swing clock. After its installation on Pen-y-lan Hill it was opened to the public free of charge from 1 September to 30 April between 6pm and 10pm. Permits were obtainable from the Town Clerk’s office.
Franklen George Evans was a member of an old and well known Cardiff family. Born in 1826, he became a medical practitioner in the
Vale of Neath but later moved to Pentyrch and afterwards to Castleton. In his seventies he retired to Llwynarthen where he died 17 January 1904. He was a J.P for the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical and Meteorological Society and President of the Cardiff Royal Infirmary. He had extensive business interests, being chairman of the Pontypridd Waterworks Co., Glamorganshire Workmen’s Cottage Co., Cardiff Steam Laundry Co., Llynfi Valley Gas Co., and Rhymney Coal Co., and held at least half a dozen directorships including Cardiff Gas Light and Coke Co., Rhymney Railway Co., and the Cardiff Workmen’s Cottage Co. For over half a century he displayed a keen and lively interest in various religious, intellectual and philanthropic movements.
His special interest was meteorology and he was the local pioneer in this branch of science. His annual meteorological reports to the Cardiff Naturalists” Society (published in their “Transactions”) were based on accurate and painstaking observations which he made daily over a period of 40 years.
In February 1919 Mr Dan Jones, F.R.A.S. was appointed to take charge of the Pen-y-lan Observatory under the Education Committee of the City Council. The Observatory had became sadly neglected during the 1914-18 War – “the whole place becoming more or less a wreck and it took months to get the instruments into anything like working condition”. It was the winter of 1921-22 before anything like Scientific work could be done. Things at one time reached the stage when Dan Jones was ready to resign. He had complained that it lacked heating and was too small to accommodate visitors, who numbered hundreds each week. After consultation with Alderman Dr Robinson and Alfred G. Fred Evans, the City Council was advised to erect a new and larger Observatory.
The most scrupulous care was taken with the foundations. The design of the Observatory was on the Berthon model, with a revolving dome and shutters.
It was opened by the Lord Mayor (Alderman W.B.Francis) on December 15th 1925.
(a more recent write-up of the history of the Pen-y-lan Observatory is recorded here)
A to Z of PLACE-NAMES in ROATH
Queen Wood A small woodland plot, part of Llwyn-y-grant. Plot 335 Tithe Apportionment. 3r.20p. Owner: Thos. W.M. Edwards. The name is retained in the modern Queenwood Close, Llanedeyrn.
Rail Field Tithe Appt. Plot 363. Pasture.11a.0r.11p. Part of Llwyn-y-grant. Owner: Thos. Wm. Edwards..Occ: Wm. Richards.
Ralf-Warth A name in the 1650 Roath Keynsham Survey.
Red Furlong 24 acres of land in the lordship of Roath (1492). C.R.V.407.
Red Houses See “Tai Cochion”
Revesacre A meadow in the lordship of Roath, destroyed by an outbreak of water in 1492. Doubtless it was a perquisite of the Reeve or Bailiff of the manor. C.R.V.408
Rhyd-y-Billywhe also Rhyd -y-Bilwy.
(the bill hook ford) – across a brook forming the eastern boundary of a parcel of the manor of Roath Keynsham (1702). It is on the lane called Heol-y-cefn-coed. In the 1650 R.K. Survey Rhud-y-bilooke. (Welsh: bilwg=billhook.) C.R.V.408.
Ridge Henge also “Rugehenges, The” :
A fishery on the sea shore near the Westerweir, in the lordship of Roath (1492,1542) C.R.V.409.
Ridgeland also “Rugelonde”. Two acres of land at Roath mentioned in a Minister’s Accounts of 1492. C.R.V.409.
J.Hobson Mathews wrote in 1905:
Welsh Y Rhath (the Rath). Rath is a Celtic word, now found only in the Gaelic dialects, meaning an earthen fort.
A village, parish and manor, one and a half miles east of Cardiff, bounded on the west by the parish of St. John and on the east by the River Rhymney. The easternmost Glamorgan parish on the road to England. It was carved out of the original parish of St. Mary early in the 16th century. The village is now joined to Cardiff by many streets of dwelling houses, containing a vast population. The earliest occurrence of the name in an extant document is of c.1102, and its spelling is Raz – the z representing probably the hard dental sound of ‘th’. There was an early tendency to give the vowel
in English mouths the “‘o” sound. Ptolemy’s Itinerary mentions a town called RATOSTABIOS or RATOSTATHIBIOS, which it places just about on the site of Cardiff Castle. This seems to indicate that Rath-Tav was the earliest name of Cardiff. If I am asked in what way the name of the rath was transferred from the site of Cardiff Castle to the Roath of today – a parish extending from Longcross to the Rhymney – I suggest that the old name, from the fort on the Taff was applied to the whole of flat land lying between the Taff and Rhymey, by naming this in terms equivalent to “the District of Roath”; and that, on the division of the country into parishes, the name was restricted to the eastern half of that district, while Cardiff (already a burgh) became a parish also, under its present name. Some confirmation of this supposition may be found in the fact that Cardiff Castle was anciently reckoned within the original Manor of Roath. Indeed, what might have been expected to be called the “Manor of Cardiff”, namely the Castle and the Burgh were both within the Manor of Roath.
Roath Bridge (Pont-y-Rhath).
This was the bridge taking the highway (Newport Road) over the Roath Brook at Pengam, near the site of the former electricity power station.
A presentment of 1 July 1773 referred to in the Quarter Sessions records (page 05) G.R.O., is directed to the parishioners of Roath requiring them to repair Roath Bridge, in the highway leading from Cardiff to the village of Rumney.
Roath Brook Farm Another name for Deri Farm. It is shown under the former name in the 1871 Census returns (p.132)
Roath Castle See “Plas-Newydd”
A deed dated 22.12.1827 (G.R.O. D/DX e.0.61) refers to William Kempe and Nick John Kempe of Roath Lodge.
In 1829 “William Kemp of Roath Castle” is shown as being a subscriber to the Cardiff School. – C.R.111.499.
Roath Court (Cwrt-y-Rhath) is now a funeral home belonging to James Summers, at the junction of Newport Road and Albany Road. It stands on a site of great local historical interest.
Roath Court is described thus in 1905 by J. Hobson Mathews:
‘An eighteenth century mansion, on an ancient site, which was the manor house of Roath Dogfield. The older building, fortified and moated, was ruinous in the reign of Elizabeth.
The Court stands a short distance south of Roath church, at the corner of Newport Road and Albany Road, on pleasant grounds. – C.R.V.411
William Rees in “Cardiff – A History of the City” 2nd.Ed.p.15. states:
At Cardiff, the manor or ‘home farm’ lay at Roath, about a mile from the castle, the present Roath Court marking the site of the old manor-house. The name Roath (written ‘Raath’) is derived from ‘rath’, the Irish term for a fortress or enclosure with surrounding rampart, and it is worthy of note that a ‘Fossatum” or ditch is associated with the site at Roath Court. Rice Merrick, indeed, in 1578 speaks of the existence of a mound here, which suggests that this may have been the royal centre of the former Welsh rulers in the commote of Cibwr. Adjacent to the manor-house at Roath were farm buildings, the barton or grange and the stone and wattled ox-houses.
The actual words of Rice Merrick, in his description of Roath Dogfield, one of the three manors of Roath, are:
Within it stood an old pile, compassed with a moat, which is called “The Court”; but now in ruin.
(From MORGANIAE ARCHAIOGRAPHIA – Ed. Brian Ll. James. S.Wales Record Society, 1983) . –
Roath Dogfield was the name given to the remnant of the old and extensive manor of Roath after large portions had been hived off to the abbeys of Tewkesbury and Keynsham to form separate manors. The name “Dogfield” first occurs about the time of Henry VIII; before then, the manor was called merely “Roath”. It comprised lands in the parishes of Roath, Llanishen, Lisvane, St John and St Mary. The lords of the manor were the lords of Glamorgan from the time of Robert FitzHamon . In the event of the death of a lord without male heir and in certain other circumstances, the lordship reverted to the Crown. This happened after Gilbert de Clare (III) was killed at Bannockburn in 1314.
The accounts prepared shortly afterwards for King Edward II by his agent, written in Latin on parchment rolls and known as “Ministers” Accounts”, are held in the Public Record Office and are reproduced in an English translation in C.R.1.108-9, 115-119, 125-128, 134-5, 139- 143.
As no 14th century manorial records survive, these documents are of considerable interest in providing an insight into the extent and nature of agricultural conditions and the workings of the medieval manor centred on Roath Court.
There was no resident lord of the manor in Roath. He was always represented there by a “steward” or “prevost” whose functions included presiding in the lord’s name over the manorial court, known as the Court Baron, with jurisdiction over matters which purely concerned the manor. He also presided, in the King’s name, over the other manorial court, known as the Court Leet, having jurisdiction in minor offences within the manor. Both courts were held at regular intervals in the principal manor house, which itself in time came to be known as “the Court”.
The usual Welsh term for a manorial court or court-house is “llys”. Within the manor of Roath Dogfield was Ty Mawr, otherwise Llys Du, which in 1748 was in the occupation of Sir George Howells. It stood on the site of the present home for the elderly, “Ty Mawr”. The name “Llys” suggests that it should be considered as a possible alternative site for the location of the manorial court.
From 1551 when the manor was granted by King Edward VI to Sir William Herbert and his heirs, the lords of the manor of Roath Dogfield included the lords of Cardiff Castle and their successors up to the Marquesses of Bute. The Court Baron of Roath Dogfield was held until the 1850’s at the Cross Keys Inn, Cardiff, then at the old Angel Inn and at the beginning of the century it was held at the Cardiff Arms (now the Angel Hotel). In 1900 the Court was meeting only once a year together with Courts Baron of some of the Marquess’s other local manors.
The 1981 publication by HMSO of the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales includes a reference to Roath Court “in Roath Dogfield Manor…. as mainly a 3 storeyed building of late 18th century or early 19th century.” The stone portico in Doric style which was added in 1956 was brought from Bowood House (Wilts), designed by Robert Adam in the period 1761-4.
(this note was added after publication of the newsletter: The Roath Estate including mansion house had descended early 18C from Sir George Howels of Boverhill to the Gwynne family of Llanelwedd, Radnorshire by whom it was burdened with a succession of mortgages. In 1787 the mortgagee was Sir Herbert Mackworth of Gnoll. The property was eventually sold to the Cardiff banker and attorney, John Wood senior. (information from John Bird’s Diaries (1790-1803) in particular Hilary Thomas’s footnote No.107 on p146 of S.Wales Rec.Soc. Publn. (1987))
- George Philpott of Roath Court, gent.,freeman of Cardiff is referred to C.R.IV.334.
1784, Land Tax assessment gives the owner as Thos. Thomas, gentleman and the occupier as Richard Phillpotts. The notional rental value on which the “Court” is assessed is £37.8s.4d. on which the tax charged is £7.9s.8d
- A Land Tax assessment shows Mr Philpott as occupier of Court Farm which was then owned by Sir Herbert Mackworth.
- A deed (G.R.O. D/DX X e022) refers to “Peter Rigby late of Sunny Bank in the County of Brecon and since of Roath Court.” (The deed recited is a lease/release of October 30/31,1809, the parties being Peter Rigby, John Wood senior, Rev. John Saunders of Usk, clerk, and Henry Hollier, Adamsdown).
- A deed held amongst the Wood papers – (G.R.O. D/D X e022) – recites (at Item 19) : Lease & Release (4 & 5 October 1811) of capital messuage called Roath Court with barn, coach-house, stable, out-houses and garden; newly erected dwelling house called Roath Lodge with coach house and stable; and porter’s lodge and four workmen’s houses (85 acres 1r.29p.) in Roath.
- Thomas Ridd’s Directory (C.C.L.):
One and a half miles East is Roath Court, the residence of John Wood (the elder) Esq., Banker. Near it is a neatly built house inhabited by Capt. Roberts of the Central Glamorgan Local Militia.
- 4/5 October. Lease/release deed. between Thos. Jeffreys of Great(?) place near Gloucester of one part and John Wood, father, of the other. ( as recited in Indenture of 1823 below)
- 27 April. John Wood, the elder died, owing £7,500 to the bank. Amongst the various properties he left to his children the only portions within Roath specified in his will were “lands called Tyn y Coed and a cottage called Little Tredegar”. His two sons were John Frederick and Nichol, both solicitors.
His daughter, Mary Ann, died 25 August 1858 aged 72. The monumental inscription in Roath churchyard described her as ‘late of this parish”. (C.R.III.550)
* * * * *
Notes on the Wood family
John Wood the elder was appointed County Treasurer 1785. He was Clerk of the Peace 1798 – 1815 and acted as agent for the 1st Marquess. In 1789 he was appointed Town Clerk, Cardiff on the recommendation of Lord Bute and his wife Lady Charlotte. He was the principal architect of the Heath Enclosure Act of 1801 and when allotments of land were subsequently made, both he and Bute fared well. Some of the land he acquired on the Little Heath was developed later by Colonel Wood, a member of the same family, after whom Woodville Road was named. He later quarrelled with Bute and Edward Priest Richards. From 1812-13, he was joined in his banking business by his sons. By the time of his death his family had assumed leadership of the anti-Bute faction in local politics. Bute withdrew his funds from the bank.
John Wood. junior had taken over the County treasurership in 1802. His accounte were examined in April 1816. He had resigned in 1815 and accepted the office of Clerk of the Peace. He preceded his younger brother Nicholl as Town Clerk of Cardiff 1804-1815. He went bankrupt and was struck off the list of attorneys.
Nicholl Wood was County Treasurer 1815 – 1824 and Town Clerk from 1815 until the Municipal Corporations Act 1835 (except 1817/18), having defeated attempts to challenge the legality of his appointment. He was Coroner until 1830, when after warning, he was discharged from office. He was absent abroad some years and in 1829 was believed to be evading his creditors.
* * * * *
- “Paterson’s Roads” by Edward Mogg shows Rev, M. Monkhouse as occupant of Roath Lodge.
- Indenture of John Wood, eldest son and heir of John Wood the elder. (G.R.O.D/DX eo22. Wood pprs. )
Capital Messuage and Dwelling House, Barn, Coach-house, stable and outhouse, Garden and well erected messuage or dwelling house, Coach house and Stable and demesne Lands with their appurtenances, commonly called or known by the Several names of Roath Court, Roath Lodge together with porter’s Lodge and four Apartments or Workmen’s Houses. 35 acres. 1r. 29p.
North side then of Plwcha Haleg Lanc.
(Bordered) on West and South by land a few years ago purchased by Richard Reece, “Surgeon and a Malthouse same years ago purchased by Ann Williams formerly part of Roath Demesne, the Turnpike Road leading from Cardiff to Newport.
(Note: John Wood Senior seems to have obtained a mortgage on Roath Estate from a John Edwards).
Following the bankruptcy of Nicholl Wood, a sale by auction was held to realize assets for the benefit of his creditors.
- 14 Feb.1824. Auction sale catalogue (C.C.L.). Lot No.13.
A very valuable FREEHOLD ESTATE, comprising the capital Mansion House, called ROATH COURT, containing Breakfast-room Dining and Drawing-rooms, capital Kitchens and Cellars, with every requisite attached Office on the Ground Floor, seven best Sleeping-rooms, and four others for Servants, Entrance Lodge, Lawn, and Shrubbery, Walled Gardens well planted, small Green-house, and Gardeners House, Five-stall Stable, Coach-house, and Dog-kennel, Farmyard, Barn, Cart Stable, Waggon Lodge, and several Pieces of highly productive Meadow and Pasture Land adjoining, and Five Workmen’s Cottages; containing together (more or less) 36acres. 1r. 13p.
These premises, exclusive of the Cottages and One of the Fields containing about 13 Acres, were lately in the occupation of the Rev. Mr. Monkhouse, at a nett rent of £150 per Annum.
The Cottages are occupied at Rents amounting to £26.5s. per Annum. The above excepted Field is in the occupation of Mr.Robert Thomas, with Ty yn y Coed Farm, and other Premises.
Possession of the House and Land late in Mr. Monkhouse’s occupation may be had immediately.
Some, if not all of the cottages mentioned above were in the portion of the old village street now occupied by a petrol station and the Roath Clinic. near the Claude Hotel. They provided accommodation for workers on the Roath Court estate but one was used as the village dame school. Some of these cottages survived in a modified form until c.1959. But there were one or two other cottages at one time on the estate in the vicinity of what was to became Elm Street. One, now completely rebuilt (No.70a Elm Street) stands at the rear of No.70.
- 30 March. Jane Elizabeth Dawson of Roath Court buried (age) 22.- Roath P.R.
- Sept. 30. Baptised: Arabella Diana daughter of John Matthews Richards and Arabella. Abode: Roath Court.- Roath P.R.
- April 7. Baptised: Mary, daughter (of above). Abode: Roath Court. – Roath P.R.
- March 5. Baptised: Edward Priest, son (of above). Abode : Plasnewydd, Roath.- Roath P,R.
- Tithe Apportionment. Plots 177-182. Roath Court. Pleasure Ground. Garden. Owner/Occupier: Charles Crofts Williams. 26 acres. 1r. 3p.
- The entry reproduced below occurs in N.L.W.Journal No.9. p.226. (1955-6). “Journal of William Roberts 1853 – 62.” and refers to a Certificate being granted registering a house for worship by the Baptists. The description of the house is not precise enough to identify its exact location but it was most likely the large cottage in what is now the residential end of Albany Road), used as the village dame school which has already been referred to.
1840 August 8; Baptist; a dwelling house being the property of Charles Crofts Williams and intended for use as a schoolroom and place of religious worship; David Jones of Cardiff, Baptist Minister, William Jones, Alice Jones; No.618 (Endorsed: Certificate dated 1840, August 8)
- Census: As well as Charles Crofts Williams, Age 42, described as Independent, his wife, Blanch, and two children Charles Henry age 4 and George Crofts age 2 were living there.
- Census: Charles Crofts Williams was still there – now described as Magistrate for the County of Glamorgan and Alderman of Cardiff – with his wife, two young nieces and four servants.
In a separate household were William Howells, age 49, a coachman, and his wife, Catherine.
- Directories of Charles Wakeford and Ewens: Roath Court: Charles Crofts Williams.
- 1 July. Charles Crofts Williams died. He was buried in the family vault which still stands in the churchyard of St Margaret’s, Roath, where he had been a churchwarden for many years. He was the grandson of a Caerleon tanner who had married his cousin, Blanch Phillips of Llantarnam in 1836 and settled at Roath Court. In 1835 he had purchased, from the Corporation of Cardiff a considerable portion of land that had been allotted to the Borough under the Heath Enclosure Award of 1801. He was known among the villagers as the local “squire” and was an active personality in the municipal affairs of Cardiff, becoming mayor on no less than five occasions.
(See Pedigree Chart No.7 in Project Newsletter Vol.1. No.7. post p.66)
- Census: Blanch Williams, widow, was at Roath Court with her sons, Charles Henry (age 24) and George (age 22) and four servants. Charles Henry, the elder son inherited Roath Court on the death of his father in 1860 and his brother, George Crofts, took up residence in Llanrumney Hall.
- Charles Henry’s son was born 2 October and was baptised Charles Crofts, after his grandfather.
- Charles Henry’s daughter, Rose was born 11 January.
- Charles Henry‘s second son, Claude, was born 10 February 1892. 7 January. Charles Crofts (Jnr) married Rosa Thomas of Ystradmynach.
- Charles Henry died 14 December.
- Charles Crofts (junior) died 1 February leaving no issue.
- George Crofts of Llanrumney died 26 January.
- 22 June. Claude died.
- His sister, Rose, spinster, died 20 December.
The entire contents of the Court were sold and the premises were purchased by Messrs James Summers for use as a funeral home.
I am indebted to the firm and to Col. Lionel Evans, T.D.,J.P., D.L., for the following information taken from James Summers” publicity brochure, available from Roath Court Funeral Home.
(I regret to say that the portion of Col. Evans” article on early history of Roath Court contains several inaccuracies).
The Summers family had earlier connections with Roath when James Summers, a master carpenter from Bridgwater, set up as an undertaker in 1878 in Broadway. In his premises there he kept a fine stable of Belgian black horses, individually named after the generals and leaders of the Boer War. James died in 1936.
His son, John, successfully continued the family business until just after the last war. He died in 1949. When Roath Court came on to the market at the end of 1952, John’s eldest son, Morlais, purchased it and maintained the family interest there with his brother, Cuthbert.
Paul Summers, great-grandson of the founder has continued the tradition with the opening of a new funeral home at Lavernock Court, Penarth, previously known as Lower Penarth Farm.
Roath Court Farm also known as “Court Farm”, “Dean’s Farm”, “Deansfield”.
- Hobson Mathews in C.R.V. rightly or wrongly equates this property with “Cwrt Bach” q.v.
Roath Court Plot Tithe Appt. Plot No.74. Arable 9a.2r.7p. Owner: Mrs Mary Charles. Occ: W. & Wm.Alexander Bradley.
Another plot mentioned in the preamble to the Tithe Apportionment as part of Splott Farm but not tithe free, “formerly part or parcel of Roath Court Estate” seems to be Plot No.49, occupied by John Skyrme – owned by Lord Dynevor and John Mathew Richards in Splott Moors.
Roath Dogfield The manorial name of the original lordship of Roath to distinguish it from the portions which the Lord of Glamorgan had granted to the Abbeys of Tewkesbury and Keynsham. The name Dogfield is a modern variant of the medieval personal name Doggeville or Docgevel, from the Welsh Dogvael, earlier Doamel. – C.R.V.411.
Note: ? possibly Duc Mael(og).
Roath Green A common of pasture lying on the west and north-west of Roath churchyard. About 1893 the portion nearest the church was planted and enclosed by the Corporation. C.R.V.411.
Roath House An 18th century dwelling which still (1905) stands, off the west side of Newport Road, near Roath village opposite the smithy. Between it and Crockherbtown there was no house previous to about 1870, except a cottage near the old milestone. C.R.V.411.
Roath Keynsham The name given to such part of the Manor of Roath as had been granted to the Abbot and Monks of thre Benedictine Abbey of Keynsham, somersetshire, to be holden by them of the Lord of Glamorgan in free alms. C.R.V.411
Roath Lodge A deed of 1823 referred to above under “Roath Court” describes Roath Court as being “commonly called or known by the several names of Roath Court, Roath Lodge…””. This is somewhat confusing.
The “Roath Lodge” listed in the auction sale catalogue of 14 February 1824, Lot.14 (C.C.L.Q0 LC81 658 82) is clearly a different property and seems to be none other than “Plas Newydd” or “Roath
Castle”, evidently at that time a part of the Roath Court Estate. It is thus described:
A most desirable FREEHOLD ESTATE, called ROATH LODGE, consisting of a Modern Villa, containing Dining and Drawing-rooms, excellent Bed-rooms, every necessary attached Office, Coach-house, Stables, Thriving Plantations, good Garden and farmyard, and several Pieces of Productive Land surrounding the house, containing (more or less) …. 48acres. 0r.14p.
The above Premises are in the occupation of John Hill, Esq.,for an unexpired term of 4 years, or thereabouts, at a net rent of £150 per Annun.
A draft deed dated 22 December 1827 (G.R.O.D/D X eo6l) is an assignment of a Lease for 500 years in Trust, from Thos. Bassett of Welsh St Donats, gent., and William Kempe of Roath Lodge, Esq., to
Nicholas John Kempe of Roath Lodge, Esq., (Lands not specified).
In 1829 “William Kemp of Roath Castle” is listed as a subscriber to the Cardiff School – C.R.III.499
The fact that in 1830 Land Tax assessments on two parcels of land in Ty‘n-y-coed show them to be owned and occupied by William Kempe, Esq.,is further evidence that that Roath Lodge, Roath Castle and Plas Newydd are different names for the same place – the building now known as The Mackintosh Institute.
Roath Tewkesbury The name of such part of the Manor of Roath as had been granted to the Abbot and Monks of the Bencdictine Abbey of Tewkewsbury, Gloucestershire, to be holden by them of the Lord of Glamorgan in free alms. C.R.V.412
A little to the North (i.e. of Longcross House) is Roath Villa, the residence of R.N.Parris, Esq.
– Thos. Ridd’s Directory, 1813. (C.C.L.)
“Richd. Neave Parris & Fanny Henrietta Hollier were married April 265th 1804.” – B.T.’s Roath.
Robertscroft Two and a half acres of meadow in the lordship of Roath (1492) – C.R.V.412.
Roke’s Land Two acres in the lordship of Roath (1542) C.R.V.412
Rosiston 14 acres in lordship of Cibwr & Cardiff – Minister’s A/c. 1537.
Rothemanlez (? the lea of the men of Roath). A field measuring upwards of four and a half acres in the lordship of Roath. (1492). C.R. V.412
Rothes-More The name given in a Minister’s A/c of 1537 to the marshlands in the parish of Roath. It occurs also in the Llystalybont Survey of 1653. C.R.V.412.
Rummey Bridge The bridge over the River Rhymney taking the highway (Newport Road) from Roath to Rumney.
The Welsh name is Pont Tredelerch or (Tre delarch) which according to J.H.M. (C.R.V.425) means “the homestead of the swans”. The history of the bridge will be recounted in a separate article in a future Newsletter.
Ruperra Lands Land in Roath so described in Land Tax assessments 1788-1790 is shown as owned by John Morgan of Ruperra Castle and in 1800 by Charles Morgan. The occupier is shown as Mrs Jane Harris.
(The 7 acres of the surface of the marsh). A piece of land on the shore of the East Moor (1764). C.R.V.415.
The same plot as that spelt “Seither Clawr y Morva” in Tredegar Survey of Splott, 1777 (NLK56442) where it is Field No.9. Area: 7a.3r.20p.
Saith-Erw’r-Glwyd (The 7 acres of the hurdle). Land on the Splot.1764. J.S.C. C.R.V.415
The same plot as that spelt “Seither y Glwyd” in Tredegar Survey of Splott 1777 where it is Field No.16. Area: 8a.3r.0p.
Saith-Erw-y-Deon (The 7 acres of the Dean).
Land in the lordship of Roath Keynsham bordering on the south west of Pengam to which it belonged. (1702 Survey).- C.R.V.415
Saith Errw Melyn (7 Yellow Acres – unless a mis-spelling of “Melin” = mill).
In 1764 per J.S.Corbett – C.R.V.421 we have “Tair Erw Melyn” on shore of East Moor.
In 1777 the Splott Tredegar Survey (LW 56/442) the name applies to Field No.1. 4a.2r.16p.
School House A property shown in Tithe Apportionment (1840) as occupying 4 perches. Plot 0.195. Owner: Charles Crofts Williams.
Sea Furlong Great and Little. Two parcels of land measuring 36 acres and half an acre respectively in the marshlands of the lordship of Roath (1492). C.R.V.416. .
Seither Five plots beginning with this name (a form of “saith erw” = 7 acres) occur in the Tredegar survey of Splott of 1777 (NLW 56/442). Two are given above under “Saith erw…”. The others are:
- Seither Bach Field No.39. 6a.3r.6p.
- Seither Heol y Brindon Field No.28. Area: 6a.3r.18p.
- Seither y Lanecross Field No.42. 6a.2r.16p.
Sendall Hill A place in the lordship of Roath – Minister’s A/c.1592. John Shendyll’s widow had a demise of a close near the Heath. in the same lordship, that year. – C.R.V.416
Sevournehyll A croft in the lordship of Roath (1492). The Minister’s A/c. of 1542 called it “Sebronhyll, otherwise Thomas Thomas’s Close”, and states that it contained three acres. The name may mean Severn Hill or more probably “Saffron Hill”. – C.R.V.416.
Note: An alternative meaning could be the rough equivalent of the modern “Severn View” or “Channel View”. The Latin name for the River Severn is “Sabriana” or “Sabrina”. The former name for the “Bristol Channel” was the Severn Sea. – Ed.
Shottescroft (Scottscroft). Two acres of meadow in the lordship of Roath (1492). Mr Corbett marks this as lying on the south side of Kechcroft, just east of Pengam farmhouse. C.R.V.416.
Skibor See “Ysgubor”
Smallwall A place in the lordship of Roath – Minister’s A/c/ 1492. – C.R.V.417.
Sourland (Sourelond). Two quarters of land in the lordship of Roath Minister ‘s A/c.1492 – C.R.V.417.
Southlayland (Southleylonde). Eight and a half acres in the lordship of Roath – Minister’s A/c. 1492. C.R.V.417.
Smith’s Shop In Tithe Apportionment (1840) Plot No.60 relates to two “Cottayes, Smith’s Shop etc.” Arable land. Part of Splott Farm. 2r.4p. Owner: Sir Chas. Morgan. Occupier: John Skyrme.
Spiremead (the bull-rush meadow). In the lordship of Roath (1492).
In 1542 it is referred to as 3 acres lying in Rothesmoor. – C.R.V.417.
Spitlefield In 1777 Splott Tredegar Survey (NLW 56/442) Field No.45. Area: 20a.2r.0p.
Splott To be the subject of a separate article.
Spodomeslonde In the lordship of Roath. It consisted of 12 acres, half a rood, and 12 small pieces of land (1492). In a Minister’s A/c. of 1542 it is referred to as “16 acres of demesne land, one rood, with one ditch, formerly of Adam Spoudere.” Perhaps it should read “Spodoureslonde”. -C.R.V.418.
Spring Cottage An old messuage, now divided into separate tenements on the south side of Albany Road, a little east of Pen-y-lan Road. – C.R.V.418. It is shown on 0.S.Map 1879.
Springfield Cottage Cottage on South side of Llanedeyrn Road adjoining the footpath leading to a well just North-West of Llwyn-y-grant. Shown on 0.S.1879 map. 0.S.201 790.
Stogescroft A field in the lordship of Roath (1440) – C.R.V.419.
The Mackintosh of Mackintosh
Alfred Donald Mackintosh of Mackintosh was born 24 June 1851, the son of Alexander Mackintosh of Mackintosh of Moy Hall, Inverness-shire, Scotland. He was chief of the Clan Mackintosh and chief of the Clan Chattan and was educated at Cheltenham and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. In 1880 he married Harriet Diana Arabella Mary Richards, only child and heiress of Edward Priest Richards of Plasnewydd, Cardiff.
He was Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire from 1905 and remained so for more than 30 years. He was a J.P. Lieutenant in the 71st Highland Light Infantry and Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 3rd Battalion Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders. He received the freedom of Inverness in 1925 as a tribute to his long and valuable public service as Lieutenant and Convener of the county. He was honorary colonel of the 3rd Cameron Highlanders during the 1914-18 war and undertook some military work at Invergordon. He was president of the Cardiff Caledonian Society.
He and his wife had two children, a daughter who died at the age of three and a son, Angus Alexander, a captain in the Household Cavalry, who to their great sorrow, died in 1918. Angus was married to Lady Maud Cavendish eldest daughter of the Duke of Devonshire. Their daughter, Arbell, was born the year her father died.
The Mackintosh, who had frequently entertained the King and Queen and other members of the Royal Family at Moy Hall, was a great friend of King George V, who often spent a holiday shooting over the famous Moy grouse moors, which formed part of the chieftain’s 124,000 acre estate. King Edward VII was also a frequent guest at Moy Hall, the Highland seat of the Mackintoshes, magnificently situated in one of the richest sporting districts in Scotland, about 12 miles south of Inverness, at a height of about 900 feet, on an undulating moor.
One of the last of the Mackintosh’s ceremonial duties was the carrying of the Coronation sword at the coronation of King George VI. This sword had been sent to James V by Pope Leo X and was then presented to the Mackintosh of the day.
He died 14 November 1938, having enjoyed good health until shortly before his death. He was survived by his widow and left no heir.
Harriet Diana Arabella Mary was the only child and heiress of Edward Priest Richards of Plasnewydd, Roath (who should not be confused with his famous namesake, his great uncle and childhood curator and guardian who was agent to the Marquess of Bute). Her father’s untimely death is the subject of a note in Cardiff Records Vol.V. (1905) in the reminiscences of William Luke Evans, who was 84 years old at the time. He said:
Roath Castle belonged to Mr John Mathews Richards, grandfather of Mrs Mackintosh. Her father. Mr Richards, returning from Cardiff was in the habit of galloping his horse all the way from Newport Road to Roath Castle. The last occasion of his so doing proved fatal for he came into collision with a cart loaded with manure and died on the spot. This was a sad loss to Cardiff and the neighbourhood. I was a juryman at the inquest – Mr Richards had been to a ploughing match dinner. He was short-sighted and wore an eye-glass- he walked with short steps and a curious little hop.
Her mother was Harriet Georgiana Tyler daughter of Sir George Tyler of Cottrell near St Nicholas Glamorganshire.
Her maternal great grandfather was Admiral Sir Charles Tyler who was severely wound at the Battle of Trafalgar.
She was married in 1880 and shortly afterwards gave up possession of the Plasnewydd mansion for the recreational use of residents on the Mackintosh estate. Four years later she proceeded to develop the fields around Plasnewydd as a housing estate which brought her in a comfortable income in ground rents.
In 1891 she formally opened the Institute at a ceremony reported below.
She always regarded her family home as Cottrell where she and her husband spent much of their time and where she ended her days in widowhood.
When Queen Mary visited South Wales in April 1938 she lunched with the Mackintosh family at Cottrell. Mrs Mackintosh was unable to receive Her Majesty on that occasion as she was seriously ill at the time and her only grand-child Miss Arbell Mackintosh had the responsibility of entertaining the royal visitor.
Mrs Mackintosh died on 17 February 1941 at Cottrell. She was buried at Petty near Inverness and memorial services were held at St Nicholas near Cardiff and at Moy Inverness.
She held an almost lifelong interest in Red Cross and ambulance work both in Wales and Scotland and gave valuable assistance in the medical comforts work of the Priory for the Wales Order of St John of Jerusalem.
In the Western Mail obituary on 18 February she is said to have “enjoyed esteem and affection of all in the social and sporting circles of Glamorgan and was much loved by the tenantry of the Cottrell Estate.”
From the Western Mail 8 June 1891:-
THE MACKINTOSH INSTITUTE AT CARDIFF FORMAL OPENING
On Saturday afternoon in the presence of a large number of members the formal opening of The Mackintosh Institute which has been presented by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh and Mrs Mackintosh for the use of their tenants upon their Cardiff Estate was opened by Mrs Mackintosh. It will be, remembered that in June last year an intimation was given the tenants that the fine old house “Plasnewydd” and about two acres of its grounds would be given over for the purpose of an institute. A committee was appointed and during the last nine months adaptations on all sides have been made. A billiard-room has been furnished, reading and games rooms provided; a well-appointed gymnasium and skittle alley erected and the lawns have been levelled and marked out in courts for lawn tennis. As each department was concluded it was thrown open to the members who have always show marked appreciation of all that has been done in their behalf. Now all has been completed and on Saturday afternoon as stated above the Mackintosh and Mrs Mackintosh attended to perform the opening function. The time fixed for the ceremony was five o clock and while the members were assembling an excellent programme of music was gone through by the St. Andrew’s Brass Band. The proceedings were a little delayed by a heavy shower but half an hour later the company were able to gather on the terrace at the rear of the house. There were then present amongst others, The Mackintosh (president of the institute) and Mrs Mackintosh the Rev. B.T.Jones (English Presbyterian minister) Mr L.V.Shirley Councillor Shepherd, Messrs Wilson Geen Harris and Bevan (committee) and Mr Wylde (hon. secretary). The vice-president of the institute (the Rev. F.J.Beck) was unable to be present
Mr WYLDE at the opening of the proceedings detailed the work of the committee since June of last year when at the invitation of the Mackintosh a number of the residents of the district had met to consider the formation of the institute. He thanked Mr Shirley for the help he had given and the suggestions as to furnishing etc he had made which suggestions having been made to The Mackintosh had been at once granted. (Applause). The committee had tried to furnish the institute as comfortably as they possibly could and had tried to make it a home for its members. (Hear hear). The estimate given to The Mackintosh had been rather high but in the end he did not think that the estimate would be found to have been exceeded. During the winter months they had no less than three entertainments and during the short time the grounds had been opened four bands had assisted them and that without pay. (Hear hear). The assessment committee had also been very good having reduced their assessment from £70 to £8.10s. per annum. (Applause). The amount taken in subscriptions for the first six months had been £40.18s; billiards at 1.1/2d. per game;: realised £27.6s.1.1/2d; skittles at 1/2d. per game realised £20.18s.8.1/2d.; and refreshments £20.13s., making a total of 3121.9s.10.1/2d. The
expenditure had been less than that amount by £24.15s. and therefore the committee had thought it best that there should be no charge for games in the grounds during the summer months. The subscription was but 4s. per annum. The Mackintosh had expressed the hope that there would be a circulating library in connection with the institute. The subscriptions of 4s. would hardly allow for that so he took it The Mackintosh must have had same notion of assisting. (Laughter and applause).
The Mackintosh of Mackintosh who on rising was loudly cheered said it had always been the intention of Mrs Mackintosh that the home of her fathers should not be treated as ordinary building land but should be devoted to same useful purpose. It would be a great pity in a town like Cardiff which had already become a very large place to allow any more of the spaces which were valuable for the purposes of health to be built over. “Plasnewydd” seemed to be such a “lung” right in the centre of Roath, and a grand chance presented itself of making an experiment. After due consideration, Mrs Mackintosh and he decided that it would be best to utilise the house and grounds for the use of the people who were resident on the estate. (Applause). Of course the
tenants were not directly their tenants but they still felt that there should be a mutual interest. There had been a little difficulty in their minds as to the tenure of the house and grounds and after
full consideration he and his wife resolved that the place should not be handed over to the trustees but should be retained in their own hands. He thought this would prove for the good of the members. (hear hear). The committee he and his wife had chosen from the representative men of the district and the rules he thought could not be bettered. (Hear hear). Having thanked the members of the committee the secretary and the auditor for their services. In conclusion he expressed his pleasure that ladies were admitted to the use of the institute. (Applause).
Mrs MACKINTOSH then declared the institute formally opened.
Mr GEEN said the aim of the president and the committee had been the greatest good for the greatest number. As residents and tenants of The Mackintosh they were all very thankful for the great good their president and his wife had done. (Hear hear). He hoped all would help to make the institute a place to which no one; however narrow or broad his views may be might take exception. (Hear hear). Very soon he trusted they would not only have a membership of 500 but of double that number. (Applause).
The Rev. B.T.Jones proposed Mr Bool seconded and Mr Bordsley supported a hearty vote of thanks to Mrs Mackintosh for her presence.
Councillor SHEPHERD in also supporting the proposition said he had within the last few days seen the postmaster who had agreed to open a post-office in the district. (Applause).
The resolution having been carried with cheers:, THE MACKINTOSH in replying, said with reference to a library he and Mrs Mackintosh were quite willing to contribute towards starting a library.
The proceedings then: terminated.
MRS MACKINTOSH (nee RICHARDS) of PLASNEWYDD
SIMPLIFIED FAMILY TREE
THE MACKINTOSH ESTATE
The following information has been extracted from title deeds in private hands relating to a property in Albany Road. The Mundy connection comes from the marriage of Mrs Mackintosh’s widowed mother to Pierrepont Mundy:
* * * * * * * * *
A marriage settlement in anticipation of the marriage of Harriet Diana Arabella Mary Richards and the Mackintosh of Mackintosh was dated 13 April 1880. The parties were:
(1) Harriet D.A.M. Richards
(2) The Mackintosh
(3) John Hobart Tyler & William Charles Luard
(4) Charles Thomas Part & John Sancroft Holmes.
The freehold property concerned was in the parishes of Gellygaer, Llanvabon, Merthyr Tydfil, Eglwysilan, Whitchurch, Roath and Cardiff. Some of the land was subsequently sold.
Following the coming into force of the Settled Land Act/1925 (which reorganised the law relating to settlements). Charles Thomas Part and Godfrey Harry Brydges Mundy C.B. both of London vested the property in Mrs Mackintosh as life tenant under the old settlement (of 13 April 1880) of which C.T. Part had also been a trustee. He and Mundy remained trustees of the new (SLA) settlement.
12 September 1926. C.T.Part died
21 March 1927. Mrs Mackintosh appointed Francis Villiers Bruce of Greenwood, St. Fagans as trustee in his place.
4 September 1928. F.V. Bruce died.
7 October 1928. G.H.B. Mundy died.
12 June 1929. Mrs Mackintosh appointed Pierrepont Rodney Miller Mundy D.S.0.,M.C., a Captain in the S.Wales Borderers and John Stirling of Fairburn, Muir-of-Ord, Ross, Scotland. a Captain in the Lovat Scouts, as trustees.
17 February 1941. Mrs Mackintosh died.
12 June 1945. Probate of her will granted out of Llandaff Probate Registry to her trustees Lt. Col. P.R.M. Mundy and Major (retired) John Stirling.
15 November 1945. In accordance with her will the executors P.R.M.Mundy and J. Stirling assented to the vesting of the property in Anne Peace Arabella Warre (wife of Major John Anthony Warre of
Dalcross Castle Inverness) on trust, the terms of which were contained in a Settlement of 1 July 1918.
It appears that the will was made in accordance with the “divers remainders over” in the original settlement of 13 April 1880 as amended by the subsequent settlement of 1 July 1918 which was a
marriage settlement between Mrs Mackintosh’s son Angus Alexander and his wife the Right Hon. Maud Louisa Emma daughter of the Duke of Devonshire. The trustees under this settlement were the Marquess of Salisbury (formerly Viscount Cranborne) and the Rt. Hon. Arthur Robert Baron Hillingdon (formerly the Hon. Arthur Robert Mills).
23 June 1947. Mrs A.P.A.Warre the life tenant and the trustees raised a mortgage of £15 300 on the property.
18 August 1952. The loan was repaid and the charge on the property was lifted.
5 December 1952. Baron Hillingdon died.
24 January 1953. Lord Salisbury appointed Rt. Hon. Charles Waterhouse M.P. as co-trustee.
26 January 1954. Mrs A.P.A.Warre and her husband John Anthony Warre were divorced.
3 February 1954. Mrs A.P.A.Warre married John Henry Montagu Douglas Scott.
7 September 1955. Christopher John Holland-Martin was appointed trustee in place of the Marquess of Salisbury who resigned.
16 February 1960. C.J.Holland Martin went to Rhodesia and appointed David Graham Bosanquet to be his attorney for the purpose of acting in the trust.
* * * * * * * *
“Arbell” was evidently the pet name for the grand-daughter of the Mackintosh. In “King George V” by Weidenfeld & Nicolson quoted in Readers Digest p.147 Sept.1984., the following anecdote is told in which she reveals her full name:
“And what is your name?” King George V once asked the tiny grand-daughter of a shooting friend. “I am Ann Peace Arabella Mackintosh of Mackintosh”” she replied. “Ah” said the King humbly’, “I’ just plain George.”
It will be seen from the above extract that she married John Anthony Warre of Dalcross Castle in the County of Inverness. The marriage was dissolved by Decree Absolute 26 January 1954. The
following week she married John Henry Montagu Douglas Scott.