The Society used to publish it’s research findings in its Project Newsletters which are in themselves now of historical significance as they refer to the parish as it was some 30-40 years ago.
The editions of the Roath Local History Society Project Newsletter so far digitised can be found here:-
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 1 – September 1983: Geology, Archaeology and Pre-Norman Roath
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 2 – November 198: Roath – the lost village
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 3 – December 1983: Roath 150 years ago
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 5 – March 1984 : The Manor of Roath and the ‘A to Z’ of place-names of Roath (continued)
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 6 – April 1984: What we learn from census returns – Roath 1851
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 7 – May/June 1984: Some Gentry Families in Roath Parish or Manor
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 8 – July 1984: ‘A to Z’ of place-names of Roath (continued) and The Case of CARNE v BAWDRIP 1545
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 9 – Sept 1984: the contents of this edition were made up of a transcript of the incomplete 1650 Survey of the Manor of Roath and the essay ‘Forty Years in Splott’ by J.M.Cleary
Project Newsletter – Vol 1 No 10 – Dec 1984: this edition concentrated on a ‘Survey of the Manor of Roath Keynsham. 1702’.
Project Newsletter – Vol 2 No 1 – Winter 1984-5 including pieces on St German’s Church and the The Hearth Tax Assessments for Roath and Llanedeyrn 1670 & 1673
Project Newsletter – Vol 2 No 2 – Spring 1985 including the first installment of the history of the church in Roath (St Margaret’s) and Roath Probate Records
Project Newsletter – Vol 2 No 3 – Summer 1985 which included articles on Llanishen, St Margaret’s church and the 1872 ‘Report of Officer of Health to the Roath District Board of Health’.
Project Newsletter – Vol 2 No 4 – Winter 1985 included articles on St Margaret’s Church and St Andrew’s church as well as the continuation of the series of places in Roath such as Roath Mill and Longcross Barracks.
Project Newsletter – Vol 3 No 1 – Winter 1985-86 included articles Roath Probate Inventories 1600-1700, Plasnewydd Presbyterian Church (now the Gate Arts Centre) and Notes on Llanedeyrn.
Project Newsletter – Vol 3 No 2 – Spring 1986 continues the running series of A to Z of place names in Roath with a large section on Pen-y-lan and the large mansions that once stood there.
Project Newsletter – Vol 3 No 3 – Summer 1986 includes articles on the Pen-y-lan Water Tower, the Pen-y-lan Observatory, the history Roath Court and the Mackintosh Institute and the Mackintosh family.
Project Newsletter – Vol 3 No 4 – Autumn 1986 includes the conclusion of the the running series of A to Z of place names in Roath and some articles on the History of Splott.
Project Newsletter – Vol 4 No 1 – Q1 1987 includes articles on the Nant Fawr stream, i.e. the Roath Brook and Talworth House and its inhabitants including John Batchelor and the Hemingway family.
Project Newsletter – Vol 4 No 2 – Q2 1987 examines the history of the streets in the old parish of Roath, the dates the streets began and any name changes that have taken place.
Project Newsletter – Vol 4 No 3 – Q3 1987 includes reports on visits to Castell Morgraig, Cosmeston Medieval Village, Llandaff Cathedral, Penhow Castle and Cardiff Docks. Also articles on the Taff Vale Railway, Roath Branch, Albany Road Primary School Centenary, Roath Brook and Roath Branch Library.
Some articles from those early Project Newsletters are reproduced here supplemented by additional photographs: