There used to be three milestones in the Roath/Splott/Adamsdown area, now reduced to two. Not all milestones are made of stone. Many are made of metal.
Roath’s ancient milestone
This ancient milestone is preserved in the triangular garden of the old Roath Branch Library, Newport Road. Photographed in 1891, the inscription seems to read “From the Town Hall in Cardiff 1 mile”. This would be the High Street Town Hall, the second in Cardiff’s history, which was demolished in 1861. The stone probably dates from the 1760s when the turnpike trusts were established, and it appears on George Yates’s 1799 map of Glamorgan. This probably makes it one of the oldest surviving man-made objects in Roath!
With the old Roath Library building currently vacant, the triangle of land in front of the building is overgrown and the milestone getting harder to see. Fortunately we have been assured by the Council that the community group taking a lease on the property are aware of the milestone and are working closely with CADW, heritage planners and Heritage Lottery so the milestone will be included and protected during any works.