CHARLES HERBERT JAMES
Fusilier, 7th Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers (Service Number: 3956585)
Charles Herbert James was born in Cardiff on 9 Sep 1913, probably at 39 Frederick Street, Temperance Town, to Charles Herbert James, a hotel barman/fish salesman and Susannah James nee Burris, both originally from Cardiff. He joined the army at a young age in 1929, and was a member of the Welsh Regiment, transferring to the Royal Welch Fusiliers in Jun 1940. In 1939 his parents were living at 109 Bedford Street, Roath. On 2 Jul 1942 he married Edna Mollie Troake in Woodville Road Baptist church. Edna gave her details as Private No. 15425 H.M Army (Servant Domestic), and lived with her parents at 27 Bruce Street, Cathays. She had been a member of Woodville Road Baptist church since 1922. At the time of his marriage Charles was living at 13 Northcote Street, Roath. Charles was killed on 17 Jul 1944 aged 33 in France as part of Operation Overlord, the D-day landings. He is buried at the Banneville-la-Campagne War Cemetery near Cean (grave X. B. 16.). He is remembered on the Woodville Road Baptist church WWII plaque. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
GWYN TOWYN JAMES
Sergeant , 239 Battery, 77th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery.
Gwyn James was born in 5th May 1906 in Abertridwr to James Griffith James of Troedyrhiw and Harriet James (née Roberts) of Porth. In 1911 the family lived at 129 Glenroy Street with the father, James, working as a grocer’s manager. Gwyn married Mary Isobel McMaster, a cashier, in 1939 in Cardiff. Gwyn’s father, James, died in 1941 when living at 70 Glenroy Street. Gwyn served in the Royal Artillery (service number 1452857) and died as a prisoner of war in Thailand on 14th December 1943. He is buried in Kanchanaburi War Cemetery in Thailand. He is remembered on the Albany Road Baptist Church war memorial plaque.
WILLIAM GEORGE JENNINGS
Private, 14th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment, (Service Number: 14706)
William George Jennings was born in 1892 in Newport to Joseph Edward Jennings, a boot and shoe repairer, originally from Clifton, Bristol and Mary Ann Jennings née Probert, originally from Pontypool. In 1901 the Jennings family were living at St Woolas Road, Newport and Joseph ‘John’ Jennings was an Inn Keeper at the Prince of Wales Inn. By 1911 the Jennings family had moved to 22 Meteor Street, Adamsdown. William Jennings attended St Alban’s school, Splott. He enlisted in the Gloucestershire Regiment at the out-break of war and was 12 months in the trenches before he was injured and returned to Cardiff and was treated in the military hospital in Splott. In a newspaper article at the time of his recuperation he described the incident in which he sustained a shrapnel bullet wound in his left shoulder. It reads: “We were all on the alert at daylight, eagerly awaiting for the word to advance, but we did not move until sometime after daylight. We were led up to the jumping-off trench and the orders were given ‘ Fix bayonets and get ready!’ Then, I think, hell itself must have been let loose, and we went for the Hun line as fast as it was possible to go. I had a bag of bombs. The air was full of bullets and shrapnel and how any of us got across I cannot understand, but we did, and then the fun started. It would have done you good to see the way our boys fought. We soon had old Fritz fleeing for his life, with all the fight taken out of him. We captured hundreds of prisoners, and dug ourselves in until we were relieved.” He must have returned to the Western Front after recovering for he was killed in action on 5 June 1917 aged 24. He is buried at the Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension in France (grave B7). Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
DAVID AERON JONES
Lance Corporal 1st Reserve Brigade, South Africa Forces (Service Number 119075)
David Aeron Jones was born in 1898 in Llandyfodwg, north of Bridgend to Thomas William Jones, a draper, originally from Pencarreg, Carmarthenshire and Serviah Jones née Williams, also a draper, from Llangyfelach. David served as a Private (Service Number 91492) with the Royal Tank Corps in WWI. In 1921 he is on board the S.S. Commonwealth bound for Australia giving his address as ‘The Bonanza’, Church Street, Ebbw Vale and occupation as draper. His father Thomas dies a year later. in the 1939 Register his mother Serviah is living at 42 Shirley Road, Roath Park. David once again joins up and serves as a Lance Corporal in the 1st Reserve Brigade, South Africa Forces. He is killed in action on 6th Jan 1942 aged 44. He is buried at the Cape Town (Maitland) Cemetery. He is remembered on the war memorial plaque in Roath Park Congregationalchurch. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
HENRY DAVIES JONES
Sergeant, M.T. Mob. and Embarkation Area, Army Service Corps (Service Number: DM2/155516)
Henry ‘Harry’ Davies Jones was born in Ealing, London on 2 Oct 1892 to Thomas Davies Jones, a draper, originally from Llanidlois, Montgomeryshire and Helena Susanna Jones née Cole originally from Chawleigh, Devon. The family moved to Roath when Harry was young, living at 4 Morlais Street, Roath Park. Harry attended Marlborough Road School before going on to Howard Gardens school. After leaving school he worked in a solicitor’s office and the Jones family lived at 222 Mackintosh Place. He was a Sergeant in the Army Service Corps. Harry died of pneumonia on 31 Oct 1918, aged 26, at Fargo Military Hospital, Salisbury Plain. He is buried in the family grave at Cathays Cemetery (plot L 2222). He is remembered on the Howard Gardens school memorial plaque and the WWI memorial plaque that used to be at St James the Great church, now at St John’s church. He was also remembered at a personalised plaque at St James the Great church which read that it was ‘given as a token of the affectionate esteem in which the late Sergeant Henry Davies Jones was held by the Officers Non-Commissioned Officers And Men of the Mechanical Transport Royal Army Service Corps and Members of the Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps, Bulford Camp, Salisbury Plain’. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
MILLARD FILLMORE JONES
Private, 3rd Battalion, Welsh Regiment (Service Number 19014)
Millard Fillmore ‘Phil’ Jones was born on 20th June 1892 in Cardiff to William Jones, a ship’s donkeyman (engineer) and Maria Jones, née James, originally from Merthyr. In his early years he lived at 34 Pontypridd Street. He was baptised at St Saviour’s on April 25th 1898 on the same day as his brother William and sister Gladys. By 1911 the family are living at 74 Adeline Street, Splott and Phil is working as a coal haulier. Later that year he is working as a porter on the railways. He served in the 3rd Welsh Regiment. He died on 17th December 1916 aged 24. He is recorded in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission record. He is buried at Cathays Cemetery (grave I 471). The grave records that he died at Kinmel Park which was a large military camp near Abergele, north Wales. Records show that he died of a brain hemorrhage. He may have been transferred there after being injured elsewhere. The grave also records he was part of the B.E.F. The British Expeditionary Force fought on the Western Front in France in WWI. The family have pieced together the history
WILLIAM ARTHUR JONES
Flight Lieutenant, 100 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (Service Number: 124510)
William Arthur Jones was born in Cardiff in 1918 to Arthur Edwin Jones, a gentleman’s hairdresser, and Ethel Mary Jones nee Richards, both originally from Cardiff. The Jones family lived at 29 Mervyn Road, Whitchurch. On 25 Mar 1943 he married Margaret Wynne Jones, a typist at the Ministry of Labour, at Woodville Road Baptist church. Margaret was the youngest daughter of the minister Rev W Rowland Jones who was minister at Woodville Road Baptist church from 1933 to 1953. William Arthur Jones details his profession on his wedding certificate as Flight Lieutenant No 1385102 Royal Air Force, Police Constable (Metropolitan Police). He died less than a month after getting married, on 21 Apr, aged 24. He was killed along with six crew members when Lancaster ED557 crashed in Store Bælt, off the coast of Denmark, after being hit by flak. It was returning from a bombing raid over Germany having taken off from Grimsby airfield at 21.27 the previous night. He is remembered on the Runnymede Memorial, Surrey (panel 119). He was also remembered on the Woodville Road Baptist Church WWII plaque. According to his probate he lived with his in-laws at 19 Tydfil Pace, Roath Park. Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.
WILLIAM FREDERICK JUDD
Lance Corporal, 1010 Docks Operating Company, Royal Engineers (Service Number 2012192)
William Frederick Judd was born on 8 Jun 1915 in Milford Street, Splott to Mark Herbert Judd, a dock transport worker, originally from Cardiff and Edith Gladys Judd née Rees, also originally from Cardiff. Shortly after William was born his father enlists and spends three years in the Welsh Guards in WWI. The Judd family later move to Llanelly Street and after leaving school William worked as a wharf labourer in Cardiff docks. In 1938 he marries Eileen O’Donaghue, a cushion machinist, from Tremorfa. In 1939 they are living at 259 Portmanmoor Road. He joined the army in 1940 and served as a Lance Corporal with the Royal Engineers. He died on 17 Jun 1943, aged 28, believed drowned. He was aboard the S.S.Yoma in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya when it was torpedoed by a German submarine. She was carrying troops back from Algeria to Alexandria, Egypt, many of them Royal Engineers who were to assist with port facilities for the Sicily invasion. The S.S.Yoma was hit by two torpedoes and went down in under 5 minutes. Sources vary but it seems that 451 troops were lost together with 29 crew. William Judd’s body was not recovered. He is remembered on the 1939-1945 memorial in Brookwood Military Cemetery, Surrey (Panel 5, Column 2). Commonwealth War Graves Commission record.