Newport Road used to be called Roath Road. Here we look at Newport Road from where it starts, leaving the centre of Cardiff, to where it crosses the Rumney River.
Looking eastwards up Newport Road in the 1960s at St James church and the City Road junction on the left and the Royal infirmary right. The cooling towers at Colchester Avenue power station are visible in the distance.
Newport Road, looking down Glossop Road, with the Infirmary on left and the Blind institute on Longcross Street, bombed in WWII, on far right.
Trolley bus exiting City Road onto Newport Road with the Royal Café in the background. That corner is currently occupied by Longcross Court.
Looking eastwards along Newport Road where Four Elms Road branches off to the right. Picture taken around 1890, before the old Roath Library was constructed. The trees on the right are believed to the the four elms after which the road was named. (pic credit: Cardiff Libraries)
Roath Court lodge at the junction of Albany Road and Newport Road. The loge was purchased by the council in 1936 and later demolished as part of a road widening scheme.
Bomb damage to 218 Newport Road, Roath in March 1941
Newport Road 1892. The bridge (no longer standing) is carrying the Taff Vale Railway over Newport Road.
Pengam Coal Sidings at Newport Road in 1974 viewed from Rover Way Bridge and the area now a shopping area which includes TGIs.
James Howells garage in the late 1950s