City Road is one of the oldest roads in the Roath area probably dating back to medieval times. It used to be called Plucca Lane until around 1870 when it was was renamed Castle Road, after Roath Castle (Mackintosh House) and then later renamed City Road in honour of Cardiff being made a City.
Workers repairing the tram lines at Newport Road and City Road junction
The start of City Road at the junction with Newport Road. Roath Road Wesleyan church on the left prior to it being bombed in WWII.
Solomon Andrews Garage and the bomb-damaged Roath Road Wesleyan church, City Road
City Road around 1920. Fligelstone Pawnbrokers on the right at No.22 with the three ball sign.
Roath Park Hotel on the right.
Gaiety Cinema, City Road, Roath, around 1912
The history and more pictures of the Gaiety Cinema can be can be found here on our Cinemas page.
1990: Park Conservative Club and fire damage to adjoining property at 219 City Road
Northern end of City Road just before the five-ways junction. (photographer – unknown)