Scroll down below the map to see the histories of the different churches.
Albany Road Baptist Church sits on the corner of Albany Road and Blenheim Road (CF24 3NU). It started life as Cottrell Road Baptist Mission in July 1893 above a stable with the occasional neigh punctuating the sermon (right). Initially, it was ‘Particular Baptist’ church, with Communion available only to those baptised by Immersion, and membership denied to anyone involved in the drinks trade. In March 1898, the congregation moved to the school chapel, adjacent to the current church (top left and right). The current church building opened in December 1932 (bottom left and right) after having been delayed by the war and lack of funds, but the perpendicular tower never completed. The old school rooms were modernised in 1971 and an extra floor added but the Renaissance style exterior maintained. In 1994 a glass-fronted entrance was added to the main church. The Bath stone on both buildings has recently undergone extensive cleaning and solar panels added to the church roof.
Broadway Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The church was situated on Broadway at the junction with Cyril Crescent (CF24 1NF) was built in 1879 by architect William Gilbert Habershon. It was proceeded by mission hall in John (later Nora) Street. Broadwat Methodist church closed in 1950 when the congregation merged with Newport Road and Roath Road Methodists to form Trinity Methodist church. The building and then became a studio building for the BBC and then later a mosque. Sadly destroyed in a fire on September 19th 1989. Now replaced by new housing. Some pictures of the aftermath of the fire.
James Summers Chapel. James Summers Funeral Directors was established in 1878 in Broadway by James Summers after he left his home in Bridgewater and moved to Cardiff. John Summers took over the business from his father and expanded the Funeral Directors after the Second World War. In 1952, the eldest son of John, Morlais Summers, purchased Roath Court, an 18th century mansion, and transformed it into a funeral home. In 1949, Paul Summers, great grandson of James, joined in the family funeral services. The building now houses a small chapel that was rededicated in 2015 by Rev Stewart Lisk of St Margaret’s.
Minster Christian Centre was formerly Minster Gospel Hall (a Brethren Assembly). It started life as an offshoot of Mackintosh Gospel Hall and initially met in a converted garage on Westville Road, called Penylan Assembly Room. The present church building on Sturminster Road was opened on 15th October 1927. The hall was damaged in WWII when bombs fell on Sturminster Road. In the 1990s, with congregation numbers falling, the church began a relationship with Highfields Church that was to lead to the building becoming Minster Christian Centre in 2001, affiliated with the Federation of Independent Evangelical Churches. More information on the history of the church can be found on their website. Photos: Under construction 1927 (top left), early years (top rt, bottom left), today (bottom right)
Parkminster United Reformed Church on Minster Road (CF23 5AS) was originally built in 1927 as a hall for a future Church which Star Street Congregational Church planned to build alongside. The sanctuary, however, was never built, but an interesting part of the story is that the mother-church in Star Street closed in 1985 and joined with Minster Road URC, as the premises were known at that time. In 2008 the Church changed its name to Parkminster URC which seeks to incorporate the names of the uniting churches, Roath Park & Minster Road. The building is also used by another Church – Calvary Church of God in Christ. The URC National Synod of Wales is based in the adjoining building.
Plasnewydd Presbyterian Church on Keppoch Street, started life in Richmond Road in 1885 where meeting were initially held in a house. The congregation grew and interviews with the trustees of the Mackintosh Estate secured the site on Keppoch Street, close to the mansion of the Mackintosh family, Plasnewydd (now the Mockintosh Sports Club). The chapel schoolroom in Keppoch street was built in 1886. The church building itself, designed by W B Rees, opened in November 1901. By 1906, membership had increased to 388 and by 1918, the figure was 487. The church closed in 1996. The building now houses The Gate Arts Centre which opened in 2004. Cardiff Vineyard church also now meet in the building.
Roath Park Wesleyan Methodist Church was on the corner of Albany and Wellfield Road. The building survives but the congregation left in 1990 and were for a time holding their services in the Mackintosh sports and Social Club. The church was built in 1898 to the design of architects Jones, Richards and Budgen of Cardiff. The chapel is described as stone built in the Gothic style with a long-wall entry plan, an integral tower and perpendicular leaded windows. It was extended and altered in 1911. Part of the ground floor of the original church building is today used by retailer Rainbow Bargain. Much of the interior survives including the stone pulpit now surrounded by bargains. The church had a roll of honour of all the 109 men who served in the armed forces in WWI which was thought lost but then found for sale and is now mounted in Roath Park Primary school. The press reported in 2017 that the church building had been sold to a private buyer for £410,000.
Splott Road Baptist Church was opened in May 1895 on the corner of Splott Road and Railway Terrace (CF24 2EA). The original building was demolished in 1983. The last residence of Splott Road Baptist Church was on Burnaby Road/Railway Street, the church’s original school room, now occupied by the Redeemer Church. More history of Splott Road Baptist Church
St Andrew’s United Reformed Church sits at the corner of Marlborough Road, Wellfield Road and Pen-y-lan Road (CF24 3PB). It holds a special interest to us as it is where we hold holds our monthly meetings. The church originally met in the present church hall that was built in 1897. The main church building was completed in 1900 and was originally called Roath Park Presbyterian Church.
St Edward’s the Confessor is on the Blenheim Road/Westville Road corner (CF23 5DE) was opened as a daughter church to the parish church of St Margaret’s.. The original church (top) was constructed in 1915 but burnt down only some four years later. on September 11th 1919. The new brick built building (bottom) was built as a parish war memorial and opened in November 1921 with a temporary iron nave that was replaced by a more permanent structure in 1968. Later in 1992 a schoolroom and vestibule was added. The pulpit came from All Souls’ chapel (Mission to Seamen) in Cardiff Docks in 1953. More information on the history of St Edward’s can be found on their website.
St Margaret’s lies on the corner of Waterloo Road and Albany Road (CF23 5AD). St Margaret’s is the old parish church of Roath and was founded by the Normans in the late eleventh century. The previous church (top) was demolished and replaced by the present building (bottom) which dates back to 1870. It was designed by John Pritchard and financed by the third Marquess of Bute at around the same time as his conversion to Catholicism. The church houses the Bute Mausoleum where nine members of the Bute family are interred. The tower was a later addition and was dedicated as a War Memorial in 1926. The churchyard only has a few gravestones remaining, the bulk of them having been removed in 1961. The St Margaret’s website details their rich history.
St Teilo’s Priory Chapel is on Church Terrace, next to Waterloo Gardens (CF23 5AX). The building was originally the chapel of St Margaret’s House of Mercy, opened in 1882 and run by the Society of St Margaret’s, an Anglican order of nuns centered in East Grinstead. The building to the left of the chapel was a children’s home opened in 1894, described in the 1914 Western Mail Directory as “a home for the rescue and training of 20 fallen girls. Hand laundrywork and plain needlework are undertaken”. When the sisters left in 1934 the building became St Teilo’s Hall, a men’s hostel for university students. In 1945, still housing students, it became St Teilo’s Priory, staffed by monks from the Community of the Resurrection, Mirfield. They left in the late 1960s when more Sisters arrived, this time from the Community of the Holy Name, Malvern Link (later moved to Derby). They ran the Priory as a conference centre and retreat house, with pastoral duties in the parish. These sisters left in the late 1970s, after which the building was sold to a housing association, initially catering for retired clergy, though no longer. The statue of St Margaret, originally in a niche on the front of the priory chapel, was at that time brought into St Margaret’s church for preservation, and mounted on the wall of the north transept.
Woodville Road Baptist Church on the corner of Woodville Road and Crwys Road (CF24 4DZ) was constructed in 1887 and the galleries added in 1892. The church was demolished in 1993 and the new church ‘Woodville Christian Centre’ opened in 2002 on part the same site whilst the corner part of the original site is now an Italian desert parlour.