Wellfield Road

It is hard to believe when looking at Wellfield Road today that it was originally designed as a residential street when with the first house plans drawn up in 1891.  Indeed, looking at the photos of the parade that took place down Wellfield Road to celebrate the opening of Roath Park in 1894 it very much looks a residential street.  Over the years all the properties were converted into shops.

Wellfield Road, Roath, Cardiff map 1900

By 1900 the construction of the properties in Wellfield Road was almost complete, apart from a few at the northern end.


25 Wellfield Road

2011 – present day: Subway (sandwich shop)

2006-2008: The Travel House (travel agent)

25 Wellfield Road, Roath, Cardiff

The Travel House (June 2008 – Google), Subway (Dec 2018 – Ted Richards)

1967-1978: Simon Jones (Carpet Specialists) Ltd

1958-1961: Empty

1939-1955: Gordon E Cirel Ltd (gentleman outfitters and school uniforms)

Cirel family history:  Gordon Eric Cirel was born on 18th Feb 1908 in Cardiff.  In 1911 we find Gordon Cirel, aged 3, living with his parents Victor and Elizabeth and younger brother Ronald at 62 Keppoch Street.  Ciril’s father Victor was a mineral water box maker.  Gordon Cirel married Doris Ludlow (b. 29th May 1906) in 1934 in Cardiff.  In the 1939 Register Gordon (Master tailor) and Doris are living at 25 Wellfield Road with their sons Barrie and Leonard. They later moved to live in Cyncoed Cresent.  Doris Cirel became a teacher. As well as the Wellfield Road shop the also owned a shop in Beulah Road, Rhiwbina, Cardiff.   Gordon died in 1988 and Doris in 1997.

Gordon E Cirel advertising

Gordon E Cirel advertising from the 1950s (except advert for tailoress requited – 1941).  It looks like they expanded into Nos 31/33 sometime in the 1950s from their original premises at No25.  The 25th Anniversary Sale advert from 1956 pinpoints thee start of the business as 1931.

Gordon Cirel Wellfield Road Roath Cardiff

Gordon E Cirel shops 31 & 33 Wellfield Road, Roath, Cardiff in 1966

1932-1937: W. Wilkinson – Farm Produce

1927-1929: E. Ramsdale – China

1918-1922: George Jackson – Manager

1900-1917: James and Mary Hutchinson.

Hutchinson Family History: James and Mary were both from Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  James was a Master Mariner.  James (b.1863) and Mary Cardno (b. 1864) marry in Liverpool in 1892.  In the 1901 census they are both working on board the SS Zensbia docked in Newcastle. They must have moved to Cardiff shortly afterwards to 25 Wellfield Road which was unoccupied at the time of the 1901 census.   The 1911 census for 25 Wellfield Road contains the following information:  Mary Hutchinson, aged 45, married,  born St Fergus, Aberdenshire, no occupation stated and Helen Evans, aged 22, single, servant, born Cardiff.  Mary dies on June 4th 1917 and James must have moved away shortly afterwards. He remarries in Northumberland in 1920 and dies in 1948 in St Annes, Lancashire.

1895-1900: John T Robinson


36 Wellfield Road

2019: Jasmin (Falafels)

36 Wellfield Road - 2019

2011-2016: Tea & Cake

2006-2008: Oblong (gifts)

1990: Willow Fashions

1949-1972: Leslie G Chappell – Iron mongers

 


41 Wellfield Road

2018-2019: Vacant

41 Wellfield Road - uncovering the past

June 2019. Uncovering the past. Shop being prepared for Waterloo Tea   (photo: Ted Richards)

1990-2017: Ushi’s – gifts

Ushi's

1942-1975: H A Tilley – Shoe shop

H A Tilley - Copy

H A Tilley shoe shop, 41 Wellfield Road

H A Tilley Advertisement small

Tilley Family History:  Herbert Arthur Tilley was born on June 29th 1911 in Newport, son of John Tilley, a gardener, and Alice Hannah Tilley (nee Underwood).  In 1939 we find Herbert living on Sherbourne Avenue, Cyncoed together with his elder married sister Alice Doreen Lewis (b.1906).  Herbert describes himself as a boot and shoe retailer whilst Alice is a manageress of a shoe shop.  I’m guessing therefore that they may well have run the Wellfield Road shop together.  Alice passes away in 1984 in Cyncoed and Herbert died on May 28th 1993 in Bournemouth.  I can’t find any record of Herbert ever having married.

 

1939: Marcus Donald Watts (b.1903) (Clerk at Cardiff Corporation Waterworks)  and Doris Oliver Watts (b.1907) (Invoice Clerk)

1928-1937: Charles Louis Brelaz & Maud Emily Williams – Confectioners

Brelaz Williams hisotry

Brelaz-Williams family history:  In the 1930s 41 Wellfield Road was a cake shop run initially by Charles and Maud Brelaz.  Maud Brelaz, nee Williams, was born in Cardiff and marries Charles Louis Brelaz in Dundee in 1923.  In 1925  we find she is advertising herself in the Dundee Courier as Madame Brelaz, Revue Actress and Welsh Singer, open to take on pupils for dancing and singing lessons.  By 1928 they have moved to Wellfield Road and opened a confectionery shop. In January that year the Western Daily Press reports they purchase two Princip steam ovens, manufactured just around the corner in Albany Road. In 1930 however Charles dies in Lusanne, Switzerland.  In 1933 Maud sets up a new company, Penylan Confectioners, with her brother Arthur and family.

1918-1927: Frances H Carey  – Tailor

1913-1918: Benjamin Lewis

1911: Roland Lewis (Commercial traveller for a paper manufacturer) and family

1900-1907: Mrs Mary West  (1901 census – no return for 41 Wellfield Road)

1895-1897: Henry Webster – engineer